Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Think small

Last night I read some pretty amazing information that is related to alternative methods of healing.  I've researched my disease and read about clinical trials for drugs for treatment.  I've made it a point to learn as much as I can about lupus and the other illnesses that can be present in a lupus patient as well.  I can tell you what treatments people usually receive, and I can tell you how the treatment changes in a person who is in an active flare and when the lupus is inactive.  I am learning about what triggers flares, mine in particular and how to best avoid them.  I can tell you about symptoms, ranging from malar rashes to neurological symptoms and so many more in between.  What I can't tell you, however, is why lupus happens.  There are lots of possible reasons, but nothing that is a solid reason.  It's a bunch of "could be caused by" and "possibly hereditary" and the like. 

Last night I started reading about DNA and RNA and I found myself wishing that I had paid closer attention during Biology class when I was younger.  I have to admit that I found it boring and at the time, I just wanted to learn about the more exciting parts of biology.  That was my mistake because after reading about DNA and RNA last night, I realized that DNA and RNA really are life!  It's all too easy to take them for granted when you don't pay close enough attention to what they do for us.  They are hard workers and unless something goes wrong with our health, they remain behind the scenes, still doing their jobs and still not being noticed.  It's a good thing that DNA & RNA don't have egos!  They know how to be team players! 

When I first found out that I was sick, I think that I blamed pretty much everyone and everything.  I had seriously misdirected anger and my genetics weren't immune to that anger.  I'm tired of feeling angry and I'd much rather find a way to feel empowered, so I'm choosing to "think small".

No comments:

Post a Comment