Tuesday, June 21, 2011

We deal in shades of gray

We deal in shades of gray.  Every choice that we make.  Every thought that enters our awareness.  Everything we believe and everything that we dismiss as being incorrect.   

It's all relative.  I think that our particular shade of gray depends on our vantage point on a particular situation.  I could ask a dozen different people what they think about something and I wouldn't be shocked if I heard a dozen different perspectives on the same issue.  It very well might be that none of the responses would be any more or less valid than the others.  They would just all be a different shade. 

Absolutes have a tendency to lay waste to progress.  Too often people cling to "right" and "wrong" without considering the possibility that there's a lot of room in between "right" and "wrong".  I'm not trying to suggest that nothing is good, bad, right or wrong.  There are some issues that I feel strongly about and for me, my particular absolutes work.  That is what gives humanity the variance in how deeply saturated the "black" is in some places and how barely existent the "white" is in some other places.  If there was a mutual respect for the differing filters that we all see life through, then we may possibly reach a place where we can hear what one another thinks with an open mind..

No comments:

Post a Comment