Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Sand box is back and I wouldn't be happier!

I think that my summer just got infinitely cooler.  The sandbox is full (that is, full of sand instead of 1/2 full of sand, mixed with sticks, leaves, toys & spiderwebs!).  This is a good thing!  I realize that most 35 year old women don't regularly play in the sand, but I'm not most 35 year old women.  I have a great landscaping guy who brought over a truck load of sand for the box.  I'm already planning out what I'll be building tommorrow in my head.  I was thinking of just easing my way in, but I think that I'm going to build something extravagant instead!  I have really missed the sandbox almost as much as my daycare kids have.  It seems like a very simple thing, and it probably is, but since we all view everything that we experience with a different filter, a sandbox to me is a pretty big deal.  A sandbox is possibilities and a sandbox is complete creativity.  There are no mistakes when building in the sandbox.  Anything that is done, can be undone, and that is a very awesome concept to me.  A sandbox can bring people together (OK, in my situation, it brings children together).  It is an opportunity for developing a team effort attitude and some really nice examples of sharing at it's best.  It can be a vehicle for bringing kids together because how many kids will pass up the opportunity to play in the sand?  Sadly, there are times when the sandbox can bring out aggression because of "turf wars".  It's strange how there is an entire sandbox available but every single kid manages to find a way to be in the same corner and then everyone becomes mighty territorial.  Still, it's a great time in the sandbox.  It's never boring for the kids and it's even a good time for adults who allow themselves to give in to the mesmerising thrall of the sandbox.  I know that I can't say no!

Since having some yardwork done, I've noticed quite a few butterflies hanging around.  It probably doesn't hurt that I got 2 of those colorful globe decorations and pedestals to put them on.  I would have dismissed them in the past, but now I can see how delicate they are and their gracefullness.  I am still the kind of person who is enchanted with creatures like butterflies, dragonflies and damselflies.  I have had a couple experiences with butterflies gathering around me and landing on me.  I like to think it's because I'm totally awesome, but the logical reason might be that I was standing near colorful clothes.  Still, I like my explanation more.

Now, the squirrels, they are in a category of coolness that is theirs own.  Those squirrels are not afraid to work for their food!  I think it's a fair trade off because how many people have seen a squirell wrestling match!  I have a new squirell and he just started coming to my house yesterday.  That squirrel is 100% ninja and that's why we named him Ninja Squirrel".  All of our squirrels have names and we try to make note of anything that we can use to tell them apart.  Who knew squirrels were so entertaining!  Usually, they run in packs and they always look like they'rehaving a blast!
\
I  am going to do my best to see the simple beauty of what awaits outside.  Today I got to remember what it was like to be carefree.  I know that I can't do that forever.  I'm just over the moon at the knowledge that I can go outside and enjoy this beautiful weather.

I'm not sure it'll stay this way, but while it is, I plan on making the time count!

These are the kinds if days that help me to see that there is always something that can renew my love and joy for my job.  I like knowing that.

No comments:

Post a Comment