Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Martin Luther King, Jr. had it right!

I remember 9/11 like it was yesterday.  I remember the shock of seeing the news footage and thinking to myself that this couldn't be real.  Sadly it was all too real.  I didn't know any of the people who lost their lives that day but I mourned their loss just the same.  It was a dark time for so many people and a dark time for our country as a whole.  There were definitely times when I believed that the death of Osama bin Laden would bring about justice but if I am truly honest with myself, I know that it was vengeance that I wanted, not justice.

Just today alone, I have seen the same amazing Martin Luther King, Jr. quote posted on Facebook in response to the news of the death of bin Laden.  I think that it bears repeating.

"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that" ~ Martin Luther King, Jr. ~

I can't celebrate this man's death no matter how much pain that his actions and orders have caused.  It's not because I agree with his actions or anything along those lines.  His death doesn't undo the lives that he was responsible for snuffing out.  It doesn't turn back the clock.  It just adds to the death toll and I just can't bring myself to rejoice in his death.  There is already so much death and suffering in the world.  There's so much hate and anger as well as hopelessness and despair. What I wish there was more of is love and light.  I'd like to see more acts of kindness and more empathy for our fellow human beings, no matter where they are in the world.

 It may be naive but I hope for it just the same.    

1 comment: