Monday, May 23, 2011

Totally stupid!

I watched a documentary a few nights ago and the topic was stupidity.  The documentary was fascinating and very informative, but I was left with one nagging question.  What constitutes stupidity?  It's very hard to come up with a definition for stupidity.  I know it when I see it but I can't seem to put it into words.  I'm going to put in a few definitions that I find here and there and see if any of the definitions seem to fit.

Webster's Dictionary defines stupidity as:  slow-witted; unintelligent; foolish; dull. 

The Urban Dictionary defines stupidity as:  Lack of intelligence. The most common thing known to man, followed far behind by hydrogen atoms.

There's no way that I could possibly look up every definition of stupidity, so I think that every person in the world should have their own spin on what stupidity means to them,  For myself, I think that stupidity is more about wasting potential and never being willing to step outside of their comfort zone to see if they really are stupid or if they are perhaps a little scared.  Stupidity is seeing the way that other people live their lives and either doesn't acknowledge the stupidity that they are witnessing or they just learn the stupidity habit from others around them.  Stupidity is wasted potential.

I'm sure that there are lots of definitions about what the word "stupidity" means.  I'd love to hear some feedback because it would be stupid of me not to keep my mind open to the possibility that other people might have good if not better than my definition.

I guess maybe there is some truth to the line from "Forest Gump" when he said "My momma always says that stupid is as stupid does."

Any thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment